C-O-L-B-Y Spells Colby


Looking at this sweet boy, it is hard to know where to begin. He doesn't really have a ton of quote-unquote milestones because he hit the mark on many things a long long time ago. Just this week Brody was weighed at the doctor and checked in at 26lbs, so I went back and looked at Colby's growth chart...well...he weighed that much at 10months. So that explains a lot with him. He has always been, and probably will always, be ahead of the game with most everything in terms of growth, and his little personality goes right a long with it. So I will start where I started with Brods. Colby has an incredible vocabulary, he has always used words correctly beyond his years, and unfortunately this year, that includes his first curse words! Crap being the one we wish he had never heard us say, because clearly it is all Matt's and my fault! The biggest shocker was just a few weeks ago. He was outside riding his bike and couldn't get something right when he said "da*# it" Hmmm, well, I can't say I have never said that combination of words, but I can be sure it was only a few times. Goes to show that they really are listening and watching the example of their parents. Shame on me! Some of his Colby-isms are failing me now, but when they come to me I will post them. One little phrase he says a lot is "in case your knowing" that usually means I am trying to tell you something. I can't think of many moments where Colby's hands are not moving, or he is not jumping up and down with excitement. He loves all things boy, including anything that pops, blows up, or makes any noise, which is why it is no surprise that he LOVED the mentos geyser that Auntie Marcie gave him for Christmas. Yeah, we went out and bought the econo-pack of Mentos that weekend. Check it out:

Colby is a total joke-ster. If there is something goofy or slapstick he is all over it. He loves watching I-Carly and Wizards of Waverly Place (even though they are a bit beyond his years, and believe it or not he loves Dirty Jobs (also a place he may have heard a cuss word or two).

At this age, he is also a bit of a know-it-all. Mom and Dad are never right...and there are lots of little silly things we bicker over. If one picture can say a thousand words...how about this one:

I am amazed at how many little traits have stayed constant with Colby; they really just make him who he is. He is very strong willed, and a little bit OCD, but is very observant of his environment when he wants to be. His memory is like no-other...seriously probably just short of photographic. He remembers things very vividly and accurately, sometimes recalling things he did or we did as a family from when he was like 1.5yrs old. He loves routine, and not just I eat breakfast in the morning and go to sleep at night routine. I mean serious routine, if things are not done in the right order or we don't read exactly the same number of books every night or brush our teeth the exact same way, or put the toys away just so...it throws him for a loop. He still is "zoning out" and having some serious temper tantrums, but we are working on all of that in preparation for the big K next year. Primary has been much better lately since he has decided to stop escaping and school too. Colby loves school, he loves to learn and loves completing worksheets and little art projects so preschool has been really fun.
Learning to ride his new bike has been so much fun, and also challenging for him. You know all those giant hills we have here are pretty hard to pedal up and down. He is getting the hang of it, and really loving to ride it, which is kind of funny to Matt and I because for so long he adamantly refused to ride anything other than a big wheels.
If he lived in the 1800s I am sure he would have discovered some amazing things that we would now take for granted. He is such an explorer, with a fantastic analytical mind. He loves to find out how things work and is constantly asking how and why things are the way they are.
One thing we found out this year is that he loves to hike. He is just born to be outdoors. He absolutely loves it when his Grandpa visits. Even at 4.5yrs he has already figured Grandpa out. He knows Grandpa knows all the answers about nature, and pets, and just about anything. I love that he looks up to my Dad so much.
Some of his other loves: bouncing on the trampoline, playing at the park, surprises, movie nights, Scooby Doo, Star Wars movies and Lego DS game, Reading, drawing pictures and putting them in envelopes, treasure hunts, chase, games and puzzles, and school.

This is terrible, but this is classic Colby. I can't tell you how many pictures I have taken where he has looked just like this. He is the master of making funny faces in pictures. I laugh so hard when I see this.

Colby has always been a good eater. Right now...not so much. Most every night he protests dinner poking and gagging his way through anything I fix (even if he used to love it). The upside is that he is learning to count, add and subtract as he takes bites, spits them out and has to start over again. Some of his favorite foods right now are Panda Express orange chicken, In&Out fries, all kinds of fruit, PB&J, Ham, Pepperoni, and frozen Bertolli chicken parm. But his all time favorite snack now is Popcorn (he can never get enough of it). It's a healthy list isn't it? Funny to say...but he has been teething this year. He has just recently gotten his 3rd molars in on the bottom and is starting to break his top right one as well.
Despite picking on his brother most of the time, he does love Brody very much and the two of them are so cute together. I cannot believe Colby is almost 5 yrs. Some days I am truly amazed that God has trusted me with these two precious lives. Today was one of those blissful days, where most things went right, and it was a beautiful day. I went for a jog this morning and Colby rode his bike along side Brods and I. We fed the ducks and played at the park before jogging home, but on the way Colby saw these big trees and decided that someday we needed to come back to that very spot for a picnic. Well, today we did. It was such beautiful day and spending it with these two little guys who were just happy as little larks to eat lunch under a shady tree and play with two very simple toys for an hour reminds me that the simple joys in life are the best!

1 comment:

  1. The mentos thing even I LOVE! hehe! I could say so many things about Colby too...but I don't have enough room. I just remember holding him a week after he was born, and now he is going to be FIVE! I just can't believe it! He has a personality def. ALL HIS OWN, and every time I see him, I just try and soak up all the Colby I can, because I don't get to see him that much! I love you COLBY!

    ReplyDelete